Do your pores look like orange peel? Do you know why that happens?
Here’s an article from ARC Skin Care, one of the unique, clinical products I am proud use and to recommend to my clients.
“Enlarged pores or an ‘orange peel’ like look to the skin on the face is a common concern as we’re faced with intrinsic aging and chronic sun damage.
Your pore size is determined by genetics and can’t be changed, however, there are steps we can take to minimize the look of the pores and improve the overall look of our face.
WHAT IS “ORANGE PEEL” SKIN?
The combination of dehydration and poor cell turnover contribute to this look on the nose and cheeks. Cell buildup around the pores enhances the shadows and makes the pores appear larger while dehydration adds a cellophane-like sheen to the skin, enhancing a rough texture and pore appearance.
Orange peel skin on the chin can be more dramatic with textural changes and pitting. Horizontal lines on the chin can develop at the mental crease (the horizontal line that forms on the chin below the lower lip). Laxity of the mid to lower face can increase the visibility of deep mental creases on the chin.
IMPROVEMENTS AT HOME
Plumping the skin, correcting dehydration, and removing dead skin cells that enhance the look of the pores and skin texture requires a task force of skin care products. Tried and true retinol and glycolic acid will help transform the look of orange peel skin, but need the additional support of sun care and hydration.
- Retinol encourages healthy cell regeneration and epidermal thickening that helps reduce pore appearance and dehydration.
- Glycolic acid removes dead skin cells and encourages hydration of the skin to reduce the look of lines, minimize pore appearance, and prevent cell buildup that contributes to dehydration.
- Hyaluronic acid helps plump skin cells, reduce dehydration, and minimize pore appearance.
- Vitamin C provides antioxidant support for the skin, influences collagen synthesis, and helps reduce photosensitivity caused by retinol and glycolic.
- Suncreen is your #1 anti-aging product and should be used daily to help prevent premature aging and skin cancer.
This combination of treatments can visibly improve the overall look of the skin, smooth texture, and minimize the appearance of pores, but it cannot change your pore size or dramatically lift your skin (but keep reading).
Light facial peels, microdermabrasion, and ultrasonic treatments can all help improve the look of orange peel skin and amplify the results you’re working towards with your home regimen.
- Facial peels remove a very superficial layer of dead skin to smooth texture, reduce shadowing of lines and wrinkles, and enlarged pores.
- Microdermabrasion removes dead skin cells and amplifies the penetration of topically applied skin care products.
Routine facial treatments with a skin care professional should be done every 4 to 6 weeks to amplify results. These procedures paired with a beneficial home regimen help prevent premature aging, prolong the benefits of medical and aesthetic procedures, and improve the overall health and wellness of the skin.” Thanks again to the team at ARC Skin Care for this information.
Please contact Fern at Faces by Fern (see the Contact tab above) for answers to your questions about the facial treatments or products mentioned here.